
“Seb is puzzled as to why facebook thinks he is Swedish...” 3:47pm
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laina is puzzled as to why facebook think it’s ok to trivialise a break-up with a broken-heart symbol on the news feed.
I am also puzzled as to why Spencer from Communications Direct, Cardiff, thinks everybody lives in Wales. He called up in an attempt to poach me from my mobile network. I have to give it to him, his timing was impeccable: he caught me at a moment of utmost frustration in my new home having received the third voicemail of the day requiring me to go outside and wander the neighbourhood in search of a signal with which to listen.
He began by asking if I’d had my contract upgraded in the last year. I explained that I’d moved on to a rolling contract because I’d thought I was going to be leaving the country.
“But you’re not now?” Spencer asked.
“No.”
“Prefer it in sunny South Wales?” he joked.
I was so surprised that I just echoed his polite laughter rather than replying: “No, I don’t live in Wales, I live in London.”
When we got to the stage of me giving my postcode and him checking my network coverage I assumed he’d realise his mistake. But no. He proceeded to list, falteringly, the names of nearby areas of London that received good coverage: “Lewis-ham, Came-berwell…” adding, “There are some other smaller ones but I don’t know how to pronounce them; I think they’re Welsh (and my Welsh isn’t very good).” He seemed embarrassed. But for the wrong reason.
Again, I let it all pass, flummoxed. And I thought it was called Information Technology.
If Spencer ever logs on to lainablog I now feel I know him well enough to predict his reaction to featuring:
“Ok, not a problem, not a problem.”
Getting back to your question, Seb, you live in Kings Cross, don’t you? I hear that’s a lovely region of Sweden.


No comments:
Post a Comment